The Ormond Castle
|Ormond Castle, Carrick-on-Suir, is strategically positioned on the River Suir. In times past it commanded vital access North to the town of Clonmel and South to the port of Waterford. There has been a Castle at this location since early 14th century. The former owners and extremely powerful Anglo-Norman Butler family, who were created Earls of Carrick and Ormond, gave their name to the Castle
The first member of the family, Theobald Walter, to arrive in Ireland in 1185, came with Prince John, Lord of Ireland. Walter (d.1205) was ceremonial cup-bearer and butler to Prince John and he later he later became known by that name, “Butler”.
Edmund Butler was granted lands and the Manors of Carrick and Roscrea in 1315, and he also took the title Earl of Carrick, granted by King Edward 11.
Edmund’s son, James Butler (d.1338), was created 1st Earl of Ormond in 1328.
The Castle was largely built between the 14th and mid 16th centuries. The Towers to the South date from the 15th century and are attributed to Edmond Mac Richard Butler (c. 1450).
The 4th Earl, James Butler, who was spent a great deal of time in England gave stewardship of the Ormond Lordship to his nephew, Edmund Butler (d.1464).
The building of the Tudor Manor House is recorded as having taken place almost 100 years later when Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormond, commenced the works during the 1560’s.
It is Ireland’s only major Elizabethan unfortified dwelling from that turbulent period. The Long Gallery contains some of the finest decorative plasterwork to be seen in the country, including plasterwork portraits of Thomas Butler and Queen Elizabeth 1 in the entrance hallway.
The Charter Room houses a most interesting collection of superbly decorated Royal Charters granted by King Charles 11 (1630-1685), King William 111 (1650-1702), Queen Mary 11 (1662-1694) who ruled jointly and Queen Anne (1665-1714) to various Butler family members.
An indication of Carrick’s significance in the 16th century can be somewhat measured as it was included in Baptista Boazio’s celebrated map of Ireland, which was dedicated to Queen Elizabeth in 1599, under the town’s old name of Carrickmagriffin.
Thomas Butler’s descendants lived at Ormond Castle until the last quarter of the 17th century. Over the years the Castle was let to various tenants; however, it remained in the ownership of the Butler family until the 20th century.
Ormond Castle is now a national monument it is in the care of the Office of Public Works, on behalf of the State.
Location address: Castle Park, Castle Street, Carrick-on-Suir, County Tipperary
Telephone No: +353 51 640787
Fax No: +353 51 640787
21st April - 5th October; these dates may vary slightly from year to year
Opening Hours: Daily 10.00 - 18.00: Last admission 45 minutes before closing
Average Length of Visit: 1 hour
Guided Tours: Access by Guided Tour only
Maximum No: 20 – 25 persons per Guided Tour
Admission Fees: Free
Facilities: Toilets, Public car /coach parking close to the site
Bus Route(s): Contact Bus Eireann, Travel Centre +353 1 8366111
Leaflet/Guide book: English, Irish, French, German, Italian, Spanish
Seasonal Events: Please check in advance using contact details listed above
Photography / Video allowed: Permitted in grounds only
Please note access for visitors with disabilities is restricted